Clinical Laboratory Technician
Centers Laboratory is actively seeking an experienced Licensed Clinical Laboratory Technician for our Laboratory in Brooklyn, NY.
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor
Centers Laboratory has a rewarding opportunity for laboratory technicians who are highly skilled to join the laboratory team in Brooklyn. In this role, the successful candidate will perform testing in the Chemistry and Hematology departments under the general supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor or Manager.
The laboratory currently has openings on day shift and evening shift and the schedule is flexible. The candidate will be responsible for performing a variety of complex and routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Label, access, and process specimens properly and route them correctly to other areas of the laboratory.
- Maintain permanent records of tests, standards, controls, results, dates and patient’s name, for reference and quality control or method comparison/validation purposes. Document anything unusual in these categories.
- Perform instrument maintenance and troubleshooting as specified in section procedure manuals.
- Document instrument function checks, problems, and solutions.
- Follow established procedures to perform routine and special testing.
- Confirm use of the proper procedure by consulting supervisor, or the specific procedure manual.
- Run controls and calibrations as scheduled.
- Check that an adequate supply of materials is available at all times. Notify the laboratory manager and supervisor or lead technologist when supply runs low.
- Check instruments for proper functioning and calibration.
- Promote good public relations through productive, courteous and professional interaction with colleagues, patients, physicians, nurses.
- Report pertinent information to laboratory leadership.
- Inform the laboratory leadership of any unusual or unexpected results after repeating the analysis to confirm their validity.
- Rerun and validate all panic/critical values for accuracy.
- Investigate any results that failed Delta Check. Review patient history before releasing results.
- Perform routine testing as required.
- Document remedial actions when necessary.
- Maintain a neat, organize and efficient work area, by disinfecting and decontaminate the workbench before and after work.
- Use standard PPE’s as required while working with blood and body fluids.
- Rotate stock
- Check pending and make sure all specimen are accounted form.
- Check pending in the morning before start working.
- Inform supervisor or lead technologist for any pending test or unresolved issues in the laboratory.
- Follow laboratory schedule and adhere to lunch and break time policy.
- Participate in Proficiency Testing.
- Participate in laboratory improvement projects as required.
- Assist laboratory leadership during inspection.
- Bachelor or Associate Degree required
- Working knowledge of PC applications required.
- Previous related experience preferred.
- Strong communication skills
- NYS Clinical Lab Technician License required.
- Ability to multi-task and able to work under pressure
- Work in an area of high noise level
- Ability to run and troubleshoot instruments
- Must attend training and in-service
- Able to perform as assigned.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and perform repetitive motion (keyboard)
- Proficient visual and audio skills
- May include lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling an object