Centers Laboratory of New Jersey is currently seeking experienced Cytotechnologist to work Full-time for our Laboratory located in Cedar Knolls, NJ. The ideal candidate will be certified and have prior clinical laboratory experience!
Position Title: Cytotechnologist
Reports to: Cytotechnologist Supervisor
The Cytotechnologist is responsible for the microscopic evaluation of cellular material, gynecologic (GYN) under the direction of the Cytology Supervisor. Perform all aspects of patient care in a laboratory environment that optimizes patient safety. Demonstrate ability to function competently according to established company and departmental policies and procedures. Ability to evaluate cellular material using established morphologic criteria with data entry of diagnosis into the LIS.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each responsibility competently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibility.
Responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Adhere to Quality policies and document all Quality activities
- Screen ThinPrep cytology slides; not to exceed established workload limits set by the technical supervisor or medical director.
- Screen QC cases, more than 3 years of experience needed by cytotechnologist
- Preparation of ThinPrep specimens as needed
- Retrieve previous history and HPV results from LIS system
- Ensure accuracy of reporting by reviewing results before releasing
- Performs & documents required maintenance on equipment
- Examine cytology specimens for the presence of abnormal cellular changes and pathogens
- Read and interpret a gynecologic pap smear by examining cytology specimens for the presence of abnormal cellular changes and pathogens
- Enter diagnostic interpretation into LIS, verify diagnosis and triage QC and abnormal cases using department protocol
- Maintain workload records of total slides screened/hours worked per 24-hour period
- Participate in a CMS-approved proficiency testing program annually
- Participate in a minimum of 24 hours of continuing education and provide supporting documentation
- Understand and comply with all company policies/procedures and regulatory standards
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problem or immediately notify Laboratory Management
- Responsible for the cleanliness and organization of all areas of responsibility
- Interact professionally with coworkers and other customers
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Perform all responsibilities independently with no direct supervision required
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, standards, applications and tests
- Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations
- Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and maintenance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and comply with all HIPAA regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Critical thinking with efficient and effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment that promotes inclusiveness and communication among team members.
Education and Experience:
- Two years of college with at least 12 semester hours in science, 8 of which are biology, plus one year of cytology technical training from a Committee on Allied Health education and Accreditation (CAAHEP) accredited school,
- Bachelor of Science, plus one year of cytology technical training from a CAAHEP accredited school
- Ability to evaluate cellular material using established morphologic criteria
Certification and Licensure:
- CT ASCP required (if not certified prior to employment, must pass ASCP registry within one year of start date)
- ThinPrep Imaging System certification, preferred
- Meet state licensure requirements, if applicable
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Frequent exposure to body fluids
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, and other conditions common to a laboratory environment
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate such as lab coats, face shields, gloves and masks
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members and other customers
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking
- Frequent sitting, reaching, bending and stooping
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed
- Frequent use of microscope, computer, keyboard, phone, and copy and fax machine as needed
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: job_20230131154300_HKCJIPJIRF64LKVH