Lab Assistant I
Centers Laboratory of New Jersey is currently seeking a Lab Assistant I to work the Dayshift for our laboratory in Cedar Knolls, NJ!
Position Title: Lab Assistant I
Reports to: Lab Assistant Supervisor
The Laboratory Assistant I is responsible for specimen procurement, which includes labeling, organizing and maintaining of samples. In addition, he/she performs the maintenance of non-technical equipment and the processing and organizing of all supplies for the laboratory.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each responsibility competently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibility. The responsibilities of a Lab Assistant include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Preparation of specimens for testing which meet the laboratory's criteria.
- Organize and maintain lab storage, samples, and specimens
- Request and pull samples for pending tests.
- Registers, retrieves, discards specimens as appropriate.
- Familiar with tube types, test request and medical terminology.
- Performs for daily temperature and humidity checks
- Assists in the discarding of specimens into biohazard containers.
- Sanitize equipment and workspace
- Assists with the filing of laboratory records
- Processes supplies and inventory control
- Performs pipetting, organizing of samples for the individual departments.
- Plating for all microbiology samples.
- Assists all laboratory staff and leadership with additional duties as needed
- Perform clerical and administrative duties as needed
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Perform all responsibilities independently with no direct supervision required
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated leadership ability, strength and diplomacy
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Critical thinking with efficient and effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team environment that promotes inclusiveness and communication among team members.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Additional education a plus
- 1 year of clinical laboratory experience preferred
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment
- Fast-paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Frequent exposure to body fluids
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, and other conditions common to a laboratory environment
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate such as lab coats, face shields, gloves and masks
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members and other customers
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed
- Frequent use of a computer, keyboard, phone, and copy and fax machine as needed