Medical Technologist-Night Shift
Centers Laboratory of New Jersey is currently searching for a Medical Technologist for our Laboratory in Cedar Knolls, NJ.
Night Shift (Monday-Friday): 11:00 pm-7:00 am, preferably with chemistry experience.
*Candidate must be available to work the occasional weekend
Position Title: Medical Technologist
Reports to: Supervisor
The Medical Technologist is responsible for specimen processing, test performance, and reporting test results. Perform all aspects of patient care in a laboratory environment that optimizes patient safety. Demonstrate the ability to function competently according to established company and departmental policies and procedures. Specific duties include Quality Control and Calibration review, facilitating the training schedule and competencies for the department staff, managing the Proficiency testing for the department, and other duties, as assigned by the department Supervisor.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each responsibility competently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibility.
Responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Perform all responsibilities independently with no direct supervision required
- Conduct analysis of various specimen types to determine the presence of normal and abnormal components adhering to the Quality Control policies and documenting all Quality Control activities
- Assists the department Supervisor with managing the technical operations of their department which may also include staff supervision.
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problem or immediately notify Laboratory Management.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Understand and comply with all company policies/procedures and regulatory standards
- Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies. Set up, maintain, calibrate, clean, and test functionality of all laboratory equipment
- Interact professionally with coworkers and other customers
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, standards, applications, and tests
- Must have hematology experience
- Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations
- Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and maintenance
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Ability to support supervision of the department and staff as necessary
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to proficiently use a computer
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biology, or related Life Science
Certification and Licensure:
- MT ASCP preferred
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment
- Fast-paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Frequent exposure to body fluids
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, and other conditions common to a laboratory environment
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate such as lab coats, face shields, gloves and masks
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members and other customers
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed
- Frequent use of computer, keyboard, phone, and copy and fax machine