Nursing Home Fitness Trainer (TBI Program)
Fitness Trainer - TBI Program
Richmond Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare is actively seeking a Fitness Trainer / Instructor to work in the TBI Neurobehavioral program at our Skilled Nursing Facility located in Staten Island, NY. The ideal candidate will have a pleasant demeanor and excellent communication skills!
Fitness trainers and instructors lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise activities, including cardiovascular exercise (exercises for the heart and blood system), strength training, and stretching. They work with people of all ages and skill levels with an emphasis on those with strength and balance issues to enhance or improve mobility and decrease risk for falls in any setting.
- Demonstrate how to carry out various exercises and routines
- Observe residents during exercises and teach correct techniques to minimize injury and improve fitness, especially balance, strength and general mobility
- Evaluate residents’ current fitness level, personal goals, and skills and give alternative exercises during workouts or classes for different levels of fitness and skill
- Monitor residents’ progress and adapt programs as needed
- Explain and enforce safety rules and regulations on recreational activities, and the use of exercise equipment
- Informally share and promote information and resources about nutrition, weight control, and lifestyle issues
- Choose music that is appropriate for exercise classes
- Create routines and moves for classes to follow or teach pre-choreographed routines that were originally created by fitness companies or other organizations
- Design and carry out workout routines specific to the needs of their assigned residents
Qualities and Requirements:
- Personal fitness trainer certification or related specialty fitness certification is preferred
- Experience with older clients or outpatient/nursing home residents is a plus
- Ability to lift 50 lbs maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Walking, standing, bending, stooping and sitting for prolonged periods
- Full use of gross and fine motor skills of the upper and lower extremities
- Strong communication, listening and customer service skills to assess and strengthen residents' physical and emotional capabilities
- Excellent motivational and positive encouragement skills to help residents stay fit and to get residents to come back for more classes
Staten Island, NY
Richmond Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare is a 300-bed rehabilitation and skilled nursing facility located in the borough of Staten Island. Our size enables a warm, nurturing environment, which allows each resident to maintain his/her individuality. Our staff is committed to ensuring the highest quality of life for all our residents, by maintaining each resident’s dignity and independence. Richmond Center is a proud member of the Centers Health Care Consortium.