Phlebotomist Per- Diem
Ontario Center for Nursing and Rehab is actively seeking an experienced Per-Diem Phlebotomist to service our Long Term care facility in Canandaigua, NY
Phlebotomists are professionals who specialize in drawing blood from patients. Their responsibilities include interviewing and preparing the patient for the blood draw. They are required to follow strict precautionary safety procedures in order to limit the risk of contact with potentially infectious blood and other bodily fluids.
Record keeping and labeling are also major duties of the phlebotomist, to ensure that the right tests are performed on the correct blood specimens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately identify patients using a wristband, documents or through known visual identification.
- Receives assignments, assembles supplies and equipment required to perform specimen collection according to established standards, policies, and procedures.
- Accurately identifies priorities such as Stat, timed, or routine.
- Determine the right venipuncture method based on patient age, health etc.
- Reassure patients and help them relax.
- Find veins that are suitable for puncture.
- Draw blood using proper equipment and techniques.
- Keep all sharps, needles, and equipment out of reach of the patient and properly dispose of these and all medical waste.
- Follow the proper test tube order of draw.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Ensure optimal quality and quantity of samples for the test and tube required.
- Label test tubes correctly and send or deliver them for testing.
- Does not attempt to draw any patient more than two times. Request help if necessary.
- Answer patient questions and provide useful information
- Keep accurate patient records.
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working.
- Monitor the patient for reactions; monitor equipment operations
- Educate patient on immediate after care
- Maintain a clean and sanitary space.
- If trained on specimen storage and centrifugation, use all appropriate procedures.
- Ensure patient confidentiality.
- Attends all required company meetings and training programs.
- High school degree or equivalent
- Phlebotomy Technician certificate preferred
- Without certificate must have completed a hospital or major lab training progam
- Understanding of standard blood drawing practices and procedures
- 2 years proven experience as a phlebotomist
- Good interpersonal skills and communication
- Able and flexible to work nights, evening hours, weekends, holidays, and extended shifts
- Strict adherence to safety regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge of aseptic and sterilization techniques
- Valid State-issued driver’s license with a good driving record
- Must have adequate automobile insurance.
- Must have a vehicle in good driving condition.
- Able to stand on feet, bend, and move through the shift
Ontario Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare is a long-term care facility that provides the highest possible quality of care and quality of life for all Health Facility residents. The facility provides a versatile nursing-home environment that encourages creativity among residents, managers, and staff. In addition to an emphasis on individuality and self-determination, the nursing home is viewed as home as much as a medical institution, with the residents’ psychosocial needs deserving a prominence at least equal to their medical condition. At Ontario Center, we offer a friendly working environment, excellent compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, professional growth & stability, innovative training programs, and more. Ontario Center is a proud member of the Centers Health Care consortium.