Schenectady Center is hiring a Phlebotomist in Schenectady, NY.
Phlebotomists are professionals who specialize in drawing blood from patients. Their responsibilities include interviewing and preparing the patient for the blood draw. They are required to follow strict precautionary safety procedures in order to limit the risk of contact with potentially infectious blood and other bodily fluids.
Record keeping and labeling are also major duties of phlebotomists, to ensure that the right tests are performed on the correct blood specimens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately identify patients using a wristband, documents or through known visual identification
- Receives assignments, assembles supplies and equipment required to perform specimen collection according to established standards, policies, and procedures
- Accurately identifies priorities such as Stat, timed, or routine
- Determine the right venipuncture method based on patient age, health etc.
- Follow the proper test tube order of draw
- Ensure optimal quality and quantity of samples for the test and tube required
- Label test tubes correctly and send or deliver them for testing
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working
- Monitor the patient for reactions; monitor equipment operations
- Educate patient on immediate aftercare
- If trained on specimen storage and centrifugation, use all appropriate procedures
- Must be capable of collecting and processing Covid-19 tests
- 2 years proven experience as a phlebotomist
- Phlebotomy Technician certificate preferred
- Without certificate must have completed a hospital or major lab training program
- Understanding of standard blood drawing practices and procedures
- Able and flexible to work nights, evening hours, weekends, holidays, and extended shifts
- Strict adherence to safety regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge of aseptic and sterilization techniques
- Valid State issued driver’s license with a good driving record
- Adequate vehicle and automobile insurance
Schenectady Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing is a 240-bed rehabilitation and skilled nursing facility located near the lively, reinvigorated downtown. With a long tradition of supporting the community—and being an active part of it—Schenectady Center is one of the newest in all of New York State with modern fixtures, contemporary features, and the latest amenities throughout. Our patient-centered therapy sessions are delivered by our caring, compassionate, expert team and will ensure that your program is tailored to your specific rehabilitation needs. Schenectady Center is a proud member of the Centers Health Care Consortium.
Equal Opportunity Employer –M/F/D/V