Centers Laboratory of New Jersey is currently seeking Processors for our Laboratory in Cedar Knolls, NJ
Position Title: Processor
Reports to: Processing Supervisor
The laboratory processor is responsible for specimen procurement, which includes sorting, accessioning and processing. In addition, he/she performs all other duties as assigned.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each responsibility competently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibility. The responsibilities of a Processor include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Organizes, sorts, accessions and processes patient samples for in-house testing and for reference laboratories.
- Responsible for barcoding and verifying all documentation.
- Performs manual entry of requisitions in the lab information system accurately in a timely manner.
- Validate and match information for specimens received; patient demographics, tests requested and billing information.
- Responsible for verifying and reporting any inconsistencies in accessioning, data entry, specimen identification, and sample type to supervisor.
- Process and verify send-out specimens before they are submitted to the reference laboratory.
- Responsible for printing end of night report to verify that all specimens that were received in the lab were released into the lab information system.
- Perform a thorough review of the processing area at the end of each shift to make sure all specimens are processed.
- Prepare a report for customer service regarding any issues per shift.
- Familiar with tube types, test request and medical terminology.
- Assists in the discarding of specimens into biohazard containers.
- Perform clerical and administrative duties as needed
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Perform all responsibilities independently with no direct supervision required
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Critical thinking with efficient and effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team environment that promotes inclusiveness and communication among team members.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Certified phlebotomy or medical assistant preferred
- Clinical laboratory experience preferred
- Training provided on the job
- Data entry skills are required
- Medical terminology skills preferred
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment
- Fast-paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Frequent exposure to body fluids
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, and other conditions common to a laboratory environment
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate such as lab coats, face shields, gloves and masks
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members and other customers
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed
- Frequent use of computer, keyboard, phone, and copy and fax machine as needed