Team Lead Medical Technologist
Centers Laboratory of New Jersey is currently seeking a Team Lead Medical Technologist to work the night shift from 11:00 PM-7:00 AM for our Laboratory in Cedar Knolls, NJ.
Position Title: Team Lead
Reports to: General Supervisor
The Team Lead is a hands-on position responsible for the oversight of the clinical laboratory’s technical operations and personnel performing specimen processing, test performance and reporting test results. In addition, perform all aspects of patient care in a laboratory environment that optimizes patient safety. Demonstrate ability to function competently according to established company and departmental policies and procedures.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each responsibility competently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibility. In addition to the responsibilities/competencies of a Medical Technologist (refer to MT Job Description), Team Lead responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Provide supervision of high complexity test performance by qualified testing personnel in the absence of the Technical Supervisor
- Monitor test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained
- Ensure that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning
- Responsible for ongoing quality control and calibrations
- Assist supervisor in reviewing of any special cases and issues.
- Provide orientation, training, and competency assessments to all testing personnel
- Assist with proficiency testing and resolutions
- Work cooperatively in a team environment supporting senior laboratory and management staff
- Trained and competent in the laboratory’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for clinical testing and knowledgeable in their quality control parameters
- Providing hands on back-up support to the testing personnel in the performance of all operational clinical tests as required to meet service imperative
- Responsible for the validation and maintenance of instrumentation
- Assist supervisor with inventory control
- Responsible for the cleanliness and organization of all areas of responsibility
- Available to staff when testing is performed to resolve problems
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problem or immediately notify Laboratory Management.
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Perform all responsibilities independently with no direct supervision required
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated leadership ability, strength and diplomacy
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Critical thinking with efficient and effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team environment that promotes inclusiveness and communication among team members.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biology, or related Life Science
- 3 to 5 years clinical laboratory experience, 2 years in a lead role preferred
Certification and Licensure:
- MT ASCP preferred
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Frequent exposure to body fluids
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, and other conditions common to a laboratory environment
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate such as lab coats, face shields, gloves and masks
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members and other customers
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed
- Frequent use of computer, keyboard, phone, and copy and fax machine as needed