Therapeutic Recreation Leader
Therapeutic Recreation Leader
Triboro Center is actively seeking a Therapeutic Recreation Leader for our Memory Care Unit. The ideal candidate will have prior experience working with individuals with dementia as well as prior experience in a Long Term Care setting.
The Therapeutic Recreation Leader is responsible for planning, promoting and coordinating activities for all residents in their care. The planned activities are to create a fun, purposeful and engaging atmosphere for each resident and may be done in a group or individual setting. Additionally, the Therapeutic Recreation Leader is responsible for promoting residents’ independent leisure pursuits by providing the residents with the necessary tools and supplies. Recreation staff are expected to lead planned and spontaneous programs as assigned by the Director of Recreation. Recreation staff will follow all department and facility policies and procedures to assure that the mental/cognitive, physical, psychological/emotional, social and spiritual needs of all residents are met and maintained.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes and leads a wide variety of recreational activities/programs including, but not limited to music, arts, crafts, discussions, parties, social groups, trips, special events and entertainment, active and passive games, sensory type activities, movies, bingo, etc.
- Creates assigned unit calendar with a variety of recreational activities/programs to encompass the five domains of Therapeutic Recreation
- Stores and properly maintains all recreational equipment and supplies
- Participates in departmental and/or facility’s meetings, in-services and staff training
- Assesses and documents assigned residents’ status, needs/interests and progress upon initial admission, quarterly progress, annual and/or significant change reviews; Interviews assigned residents for MDS 3.0
- Records assigned residents’ activity attendance and participation
- Escorts and/or transports residents to/from activities as needed
- Prepares and serves refreshments as needed at activities within facility and department guidelines
- Assists in decorating for parties, special events, seasonal occasions, staff parties and community events
- Attends community outings/trips
- Works collaboratively with other department staff as a member of the IDT
- Partners and provides mentorship to volunteers/interns, as assigned
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director of Recreation
Triboro Center is a 405-bed rehabilitation and skilled nursing facility located in the Bronx. Our size enables a warm, nurturing environment, which allows each resident to maintain his or her individuality. Triboro Center’s staff is committed to ensuring the highest quality of life for all our residents, by maintaining each resident’s dignity and independence. Triboro Center is a proud member of the Centers Health Care consortium.